HMAS Swan Wreck Dive Trip – Advanced Diver Course
The HMAS swan was launched on the 16 December 1967. Designated as a destroyer escort she was 112.8m long and 12.5 m wide. Her displacement was 2700 tons and capable of 30 knots with a range of 4500 miles at 12 knots. She had a crew of 250 officers and seamen.
The launching was an interesting affair with the traditional champagne bottle thrown at her 11 times before finally
she passed down the spillway.
The ship cost $22 million to build and was the most expensive Australian war ship, at that time, to be built.
In September 1996 she was decommissioned and during her career had steamed approximately 800,000 nautical miles. After much deliberation the ship was given to the Geographe Bay Artificial Reef Society who proposed to sink the wreck in a sheltered location 1.3 nautical miles off the shore near Geographe Bay.. With a gathering of over 20,000 spectator’s she came to rest on the bottom on the Ocean in the 14 December 1997.
Each year the wreck becomes more colorful as sponge growth takes hold. Schools of fish can be found in every small compartment and opening. Large Samson Fish are often seen with the occasional jew fish. Even a small a harmless hammer head shark has been reported circling the top decks.
The wreck has been painstakingly prepared for diving and numerous holes cut into the side of the vessel which allows for easy ccess into the wreck for those with the appropriate training and experience. Although the holes are designed specifically to avoid slit build up it still accumulates in the lower decks and penetration should not be taken lightly . The bottom of the wreck is at 30 meters, the bridge at 12 meters and the tower only 6 meters from the surface.
This trip is available to open water divers as Advanced training and Instructor supervision is included in the trip. Experienced divers are welcome and specialist courses such as Wreck penetration and Photography courses are also available during this trip depending on numbers.
The cost to complete ALL dives for those already Advanced trained is $350.00 plus fills plus accomodation.
The trip involves two dives on the HMAS Swan and a ” NIGHT ” dive on the and of the 2 km long Busselton Jetty. This Night Dive rates highly, with spectacular growth on the jetty substructure. I guarantee you will definitely be wanting to come back for more. (See images of Jetty below). The trip is done as an Advanced Diver Training Course and includes training and supervision for approximately the same cost as you will pay for just the gear and charter fees through the local dive shops in Dunsborough and Busselton. As a result it’s one of our most popular trips and early bookings are essential.WHERE:
Dunsborough approximately 3 and half hours south of Perth.Format
Dives on Sunday are usually completed by around 2.30 pm and we return back to Perth in time for Dinner.Includes
- Friday Night – Meet at accommodation and discuss buddies depths and times for the following days dives.
- Saturday: Drive to Canal rocks 15 minutes from Dunsborough to conduct two training dives Naturalist and navigation Dives. Saturday afternoon to relax and take in some of the sights and scenery of Dunsborough or just relax on the beach. After an early meal we meet at the Busselton Marina at 6.00 for a pick up by the Charter Boat which takes us to the end of the Jetty for a spectacular night Dive.
- Sunday: We depart for Busselton Marina 8.30 am by Dive Charter Vessel to the Swan Wreck for two amazing Dives. First dive being the Deep Dive followed by a surface interval and lunch by the Wreck Dive.
FIVE DIVES – full advanced course – ( Completed over the weekend )
- Wreck Dive – on the HMAS Swan
- Deep Dive – on the HMAS Swan
- Night dive on the Busselton Jetty
- Navigation Dive or search and recovery
- Naturalist Dive
- All Boat Charter Fees
- Advanced e-learning Materials.
- Supervision by an experienced Dive Instructor
- SSI Advanced Certification to 30 metres
- Air fills
- Scuba Equipment ( Equipment hire is available for a discounted rate of $40.00 per day for the weekend – $80.00 total.)
- Students also need to supply a Slate, Knife, torch and SMB (with whistle). If students are using their own Scuba Diving Equipment they must have these four items, along with a dive computer, compass and two cylinders. It is mandatory that a suitable Night Diving Torch is used, and a back up torch and glow stick are also recommended.
- NOTE Enrolled students are entitled to a 10% discount (excludes tanks) on equipment purchases at the Store.
normally groups are organized to share cars and transport costsAccommodation –
is arranged at the Géographe Marina for $50 per nightBookings
This is one of our most popular Dive trip and is normally booked out early. A booking information sheet will be mailed to you once we receive your $300.00 Deposit. You can either drop into the shop or give us your credit card details over the phone and an information sheet can be mailed out to you.
(Refund of course deposits given at the discretion of Diving Frontiers. We reserve the right to charge a $100.00 deferment or cancellation fee for alteration of booking dates done within 7 days preceding a Trip.)