The WH-301 also known as Gemini was one of two identical steel hopper barges built in 1962 and registered as WH-301 and WH-302. In 1980’s these 36.5 metre-long barges were joined to form a pontoon drill barge for a dredging company in New South Wales. At a later date the ‘twins’ were separated and eventually sold to Mr D. Ceray of Western Australia. In 1993 WH-301 Gemini was sold to a local charter boat operator for the purpose of creating a recreational dive site for advanced divers. The barge was towed by the Naval tug Tammar to a site near Two Rocks Marina and scuttled. In the process of sinking, the hull capsized and now lies on a sandy seabed in 30 metres of water. The wreck is an excellent dive site and can be enjoyed by advanced divers
With the Gemini Wreck lying in 30 metres of water this is a dive only for the Advanced Certified Diver and also better dived on Enriched Air 32% Mix. Around the Gemini Wreck you will find schools of Drummer and the odd massive Samson Fish. Inside the wreck there are many Crayfish in the holds and a lot of smaller fish.The TripWHERE:
We meet at Ocean Reef Marina or Mindarie Marina at 8.00 am sharp. By 8:15 we will make the trip over to the Gemini Wreck. Back by approximately 13:30, hopefully before the sea-breeze comes in.FORMAT:
30-45 minute boat trip to dive site for first dive, with a 1-1.5 hour surface interval. We will do the first dive on the Gemini Wreck and depending on popular opinion we will do a second on the wreck or move over to a near-by reef for a shallower second dive. All dives must be done within no decompression limits. Staff will be monitoring computers. Nitrox is also available for those with Enriched Air certification but must be organised at least a day or two before the charter.IncludesTwo Dives, Charter fees and 2nd TankCosts$110.00 (discounts available for group bookings)Divers are required to produce:
- Dive computer
- Safety Sausage (SMB) and whistle
- Log book
- Proof of a minimum Advanced Certification
- Proof of Enriched Air (Nitrox) Certification if using Nitrox
- Divers must be medically fit to dive
- Scuba Gear and one tank.
- Nitrox 32% – must be organised a day or two before the charter
Bookings can be made via the shop on 9240 6662 or pop in for a chat!Disclaimer & Cancellation Policy
- Payment in Full required on booking. Non refundable if cancelled within 48 hours of Charter.
- Minimum numbers are required for charter to run. Diving Frontiers reserves the right to cancel or defer charter if minimum numbers are not met.
- Dive charters are dependant of weather conditions and Diving Frontiers reserve the right to cancel or change boat/dive site if we believe there is a safety risk to passengers or crew.
- Divers “MUST” present there Dive Certification or Temporary Dive Card on the morning of the charter to be permitted to board the vessel.